There could be several reasons why your baby isn't sleeping through the night.
Some common causes include:
- Hunger: Babies have small stomachs and need to eat frequently, especially during the first few months of life.
- Developmental milestones: As babies grow and develop, they may experience disruptions in their sleep patterns.
- Sleep associations: If your baby has formed a strong association with certain sleep-time behaviors (such as being rocked, fed, or patted), they may wake up during the night and need those same behaviors to fall back asleep. This is the one we see here at Helping Babies Sleep MOST frequently.
- Overstimulation: Too much stimulation before bedtime can make it difficult for your baby to fall asleep and stay asleep.
- Discomfort: Teething, ear infections, and other discomfort can cause your baby to wake up during the night.
- Separation anxiety: As babies get older and become more aware of their surroundings, they may experience separation anxiety and wake up during the night to make sure you're nearby.
You might also find this blog helpful: The Two Main Reasons Your Baby Won't Sleep Through The Night.
We also have virtual consultations available across the globe. Home visits available for Palo Alto, Mountain View, San Francisco, San Jose, Los Altos, Burlingame, Hillsborough and all of the San Francisco Bay Area.